Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lonsdale Quay Market

I've heard lots of things about Lonsdale Quay Market, and I was very excited to visit the place! The market is located in North Vancouver, and houses more than 80 shops and services.


View Larger Map

Beaver Tails
The place had a selection of different beaver tails people can choose from. However, because this was brunch for me, I chose the classic beaver tail, which is basically just fried dough with sugar sprinkled on it. The other choices were chocolate, M&M's, or caramel on top of the classic fried dough with sugar, which was a little too much for the morning. 
After waiting a couple of minutes, this is what I got!


I know it looks very simple, but it tastes so good! It's sweet and crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. Because it's made freshly, the smell is great too, and it melts in your mouth! There are tables and chairs near by with windows facing the water, so you can have your food while enjoying the great view as well.
Honestly, if there were chocolate or caramel added to what I have here, I think it might have been a bit too sweet for me. For someone who doesn't like overly sweet treats like me, the classic version would be perfect. Also, it's obviously not a healthy food choice (it's deep fried and loaded with sugar!), so although it is very delicious, I don't think it'll be a good idea to have this too often. 

Beaver Tails (Lonsdale Quay) on Urbanspoon

Screaming Mimi's
I love seafood, so I was looking forward to my visit to Screaming Mimi's, which serves seafood, mainly oysters. 

 They also had interesting illustrations of different kinds of seafood on the wall, including a crab that looked too happy about getting cooked alive.

 This is a shot of their menu.

Some live crabs...
 
 They also display their fresh oysters like so. When you order your oysters, they shuck it before your eyes.
They also have a variety of different kinds of cooked oysters. As you can see, they have many choices, so it was difficult for me to decide what to eat! 
The oysters were great! They were very fresh. We ordered two, but they gave us one more,because as you can see, the second oyster they gave us was very small.

 We also had some creamy oysters, which were oysters cooked with cream and butter. This was both my and my friend's favourite! The creaminess matched well with the oyster's flavour, and I felt that the slight fishy taste that the oyster had was taken down a notch by the cream and butter. Overall, it was very delicious, and I found myself scraping the shell to make sure I get everything.
 Next, we had fried oysters. These were good as well, but the taste did not stand out compared to the other dishes we had. It was a little greasy, which I didn't really like.


The seafood bun (next to the fried oysters) was very delicious! There was shrimp, cucumber, and other vegetables that were all mixed in mayonnaise on top of the bun.The mixture on top was fresh and delicious, but what really made it great was the bun. We could tell that the bun was very fresh, and it was spread with butter inside. The bun and the seafood mixture tasted very good together, and I will surely order this again the next time I'm here.

Overall, I really enjoyed the food at Screaming Mimi's. I will surely return the next time I'm in the area for more - especially the creamy oysters. 

Screaming Mimi's on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi ,
    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/181595/restaurant/Vancouver/Screaming-Mimis-North-Vancouver
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1452830/restaurant/Vancouver/Beaver-Tails-Lonsdale-Quay-North-Vancouver
    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/14/5826/Vancouver/Kimchi-Fried-Rice.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete